Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Gift with a Message

I rushed around cleaning the cabin and watching over the meal that I was preparing for company dinner. I guess I was overly concerned about both things. Here we were in the mountains, at our summer home, enjoying the relaxed environment - that is until today.

The stress of entertaining consumed my heart and made me irritable with my husband and the pets, which were underfoot.

When the guests arrived that evening they handed me a gorgeous bouquet in a beautiful dark blue vase. Deep inside I was chastened!

Beauty for ashes, a moment of truth, whatever you choose to call it when you have an epiphany, I was touched by the gift and moved by the message that fell gently on my “Martha’s heart”.

I had missed the day, as it could have been, and served up the “leftovers” to our gracious friends who, unknowingly, provided me with the one thing that restored a "Mary's heart" within me.

Luke 10:38-42

No comments: